One of those things in life that you just can’t live without is the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich. At least…I sure can’t. Which is actually quite humorous, because growing up, I absolutely would not eat a pb&j to save my life. I loved jam, but hated peanut butter. Some time in my teens, that changed however. Now, I love them. This is an awesome little twist on the classic sandwich. PB&J Dessert Bars! Sure to be a hit for any age! Recipe courtesy of SpendWithPennies. Couldn’t resist sharing it, because it just looks delicious.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or any nut butter (see my recipe for Homemade Nut Butters!)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup strawberry jam, or jam of your choice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Do not preheat your oven.
- By hand or with a mixer, cream together sugar, peanut butter, and butter. Stir in the egg and vanilla.
- In a seperate bowl or large plastic ziplock bag, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly, mixing thoroughly, until a thick dough forms.
- Press 3/4 of the peanut butter dough into the bottom of a parchment paper-lined 9×13 baking dish. Place the dish in the fridge to chill for at least an hour, but no more than 1 day, allowing the butter to re-solidify. Place the other 1/4 of peanut butter dough in the freezer until ready to use, this will make it easier to crumble over the top of the bars before baking.
- When ready to bake, heat the strawberry jam in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until the jam is slightly more liquid. Spread it evenly over the peanut butter dough in the pan.
- Remove the rest of the peanut butter dough from the freezer and crumble it over the jam-covered dough in the pan.
- Bake in a non-preheated oven at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, or until the top crust is golden brown and the jam is bubbly.
- Allow the bars to cool before attempting to slice, or you may have a sticky yet delicious mess on your hands.