Ah, we all love the occasional sweet treat, don’t we? Especially a sweet breakfast treat. OK, maybe lunch too. Or after dinner. Heck, a snack between meals! And there is definitely nothing better than making that sweet treat yourself, in your own kitchen with minimal effort. I have many a good memory of getting a Saturday morning donut with my family at the local donut shop. Guess what I always picked? If you guessed Apple Fritter, you guessed correct! Nothing like the yummy goodness of the sweet taste of apples and cinnamon with a sweet glaze to top it all off.
Now I know in today’s hurried world, it can be tough to find the time to put together a complex recipe. With that in mind, I have some good news for you! I stumbled across an excellent AND quick apple fritter recipe that you can make in the comfort of your own home, and you don’t even have to have a deep fryer to make it happen. Just a relatively large, high walled pot works just fine. That’s what I used and my fritters turned out excellent. So good that I’m sneaking off to the store to buy more apples to make more tomorrow! Shh, don’t tell my husband. 😛
For those of you who have apple trees in your backyards, I’m a bit jealous of you right now. What I wouldn’t give to walk out on a crisp early fall morning, grab a couple of apples straight off my tree and come back inside to prep them for fritters. Or even an apple pie…but that’s a whole different story. Just the thought of that makes me smile. I’m telling you right now, this is a recipe to tuck away into your most prized recipe book, you’ll thank yourself later. Even my picky 2 year old enjoyed these, although, honestly, what’s not to like?!
Here’s the recipe!
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (for batter)
- 3 cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped small
- 1 cup cinnamon sugar for tossing
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions (20 minutes Prep Time, 15 Minutes Cook Time)
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or deep pan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Pour in the milk, eggs and oil and stir until well blended. Mix in apples until they are evenly distributed.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden on both sides, about 5 minutes depending on the size. Fry in smaller batches so they are not crowded. Remove from the hot oil using a slotted spoon or tongs (I found that tongs were easiest, I just let the fritter drip over the hot oil for a couple of seconds before removing) and drain briefly on paper towels. Toss with cinnamon sugar while the fritters are still warm.
- While your fritters are cooling, prepare your glaze. Put your powdered sugar in a small measuring cup, and add the milk and vanilla. Whisk until no sugar lumps remain. If your glaze is too thick, add more milk. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar until it is the consistency of a thin syrup.
- Once your fritters have cooled for about 10 minutes, dip one side of each fritter into the glaze and then place glaze side up on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. If you have remaining glaze, you can drizzle it over the fritters.
Recipe adapted from http://www.allrecipes.com.
Posted by LadiHawk2013 in Favorite Recipes, Uncategorized Tags: apple, apple fritters, apples, baking, breakfast, cooking, deep fried, deep frying, donuts, easy apple fritters, fritters, pastries, quick and easy, recipe, recipes, sweet treats