With summer being so hot here in Seattle, and our house being a heat withholding wooden box, I have tried desperately to find recipes that don’t require the oven or the stove. It is also nice to find recipes that are easy to throw together for a picnic or even for camping. Another bonus is when it’s healthy and refreshing too!
In this family, we love nothing more than a fresh avocado. Summer here is known for a few tasty things, berries and avocados from California. Nothing…I tell you, nothing, is better than a fresh, ripe avocado. Combine that into a tasty dinner recipe and life couldn’t be better. (Sorry, avocado haters. More for me!) We really like recipes that have good flavor and a variety of fresh ingredients, so this summer salad is a big favorite for us now. It’s quick and easy to prepare, which is fantastic for me, my toddler doesn’t really like to watch me cook for hours. Can’t blame him though, I wouldn’t want to watch someone cook, that just sounds boring. He helps with basic cooking tasks, and he actually helped make the dressing for this salad, he’s a pro at stirring things together. All in all, if I had to rate this on the 5 star scale, it would definitely get a 5, for both taste and ease of preparation. So, here we go! Give it a try and let me know what you think of it!
Chicken Avocado Salad
Recipe adapted from various recipes, instructions taken in part from Kalyn’s Kitchen blog.
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded. I find using a rotisserie chicken is great, speeds up the process, all you have to do is shred it!
- 2 medium, ripe avocados, diced into chunks.
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, separated
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely diced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, coarsely or finely chopped is fine, depends what your preference is.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, or light mayonnaise
Serve right away or chill for a while before serving.